Looking for socks you can comfortably wear with barefoot shoes? Here is a list of all the sock brands I love that support a natural toe splay, including regular socks, toe socks, and leg warmers.
Why Do Socks Matter?
Socks can restrict your toes just like shoes can! Many people who have experienced the freedom of barefoot shoes start to question their socks. And many find themselves more comfortable once they transition to either toe socks or anatomical socks. I myself prefer to be fully barefoot in my shoes (I wash them if they get stinky), but sometimes I need socks for either comfort or warmth. The following are the socks I recommend for comfort and foot health.
Over the years I have completely transitioned to toe socks – I just need that toe mobility! And nothing else gives it to you like a toe sock (except being barefoot of course).
- Knitido Plus $20-$30. Use code ANYA20 for 20% off
- Knitido Germany – They have a different selection than Knitido Plus, so are worth checking out!
- Injinji $10-$20 – I love the wool hikers best of all!
- SeraSox – These are really soft and comfy!
- Tabio USA
- ToeSox $10-$20 – I love the riding boot toe socks from here so I can be cozy inside my boots and still have free toes. They also have an Amazon shop.
- Vibram Toe Sock $10
- Amazon – There are lots of options! I have a cheap set to fill in the gaps so I always have clean socks to wear.
No Show Toe Socks
Want toe socks that won’t show when wearing low cut shoes? Here are some invisible toe sock options. If you have a stinky feet problem, these can help keep your shoes fresher.
5 Toe Tights
Need to wear nylons? There are tights with 5 toes! Find them at ToeToe.
Tall Boot Socks
Tabi socks have a separate spot for the big toe only, and are often used by people who just don’t want to give up their sandals when the weather turns cold.
These socks have a natural foot shape to them, with a left and right. This just makes sense, since feet aren’t symmetrical! So they allow your big toes to splay out more than traditional socks. While these are far more comfortable, I still prefer my toe socks – sometimes these socks get bunched up in my shoes and I still feel slightly restricted. But if you can’t stand the thought of toe socks, these are the next best thing.
- Be Lenka $12.50 – These are thinner socks, so work well in warm weather or with shoes that don’t have a lot of extra space. Customers outside the US/Canada can get them directly from Be Lenka proper and get 5% off with code
ANYASREVIEWS. Those within North American can purchase them directly from Anya’s Shop with free shipping.
- Injinji – The Runner and Hiker are the only two that aren’t toe socks
- Babaruda Knits – These are custom made socks to match your foot shape!
Leg warmers (or stirrup socks) are another great option for preserving toe space. I love that they keep me warm, fill in space around the arch and heel, but still let my toes be free.
You can find leg warmers lots of places, and they’re really easy to knit yourself (or so I’ve been told), but here are a few that I have experience with and can vouch for!
- Amazon Leg Warmers $16 – I use these all winter over my socks for warmth and to make my winter boots fit better.
- Knitido Plus – These are my favorite for inside stylish boots.
Extra Warm Foot Friendly Socks
Did you know that wool can take the shape of your body like leather can? Quality socks with a high wool content will become softer and conform to your foot over time. Sizing up is also a great option if you are having trouble finding cozy socks that don’t squish your toes.
- Be Lenka Merino Wool Socks
- Injinji Wool
- Icelandic Socks – These are 85% wool so are able to mold to your foot over time. They fit generously and are very thick and warm.
- Chunky Boot Socks $15/5 pack – I wear these all the time in Instagram posts (you guys love ’em!), they are one of my favorite finds for spacious socks that have that perfect chunky look. They are so cozy, so cute, and allow for all the toe movement. Fun fact, they were a gift from my BFF two years ago.
- People Socks – I stole these from my husband and now use them as house slippers.
I live in a cold climate and have put a lot of energy into finding the best warm gear that doesn’t restrict your feet. Check out my All Time Warmest Barefoot Winter boots article for more details!
I often get asked about foot friendly compression socks – here are two toe sock options that will let your feet spread out.
There are also many compression sleeves that have no toes.
Kids Foot Friendly Socks
It’s not easy to find foot friendly socks for kids. My two boys refuse to wear socks most of the time and won’t even touch toe socks, so we keep just a few pairs in one size larger than their shoe size for cold weather. The following two are the only other options I’ve found.
- Amazon – This is the only place I’ve found toe socks for kids
- Plus12 – These are the only anatomical socks (not toe socks) I’ve found for kids
Anything you put your feet into will affect how they function – that means it’s worthwhile to look at both your socks and your shoes. Fortunately there are tons of healthy sock options in a full range of prices and materials. Find what works for you and experience the foot freedom!