If you live in a wet climate waterproof barefoot shoes will keep your socks dry and your feet happy. You see, many standard rain boots have a chunky heel that can throw off your alignment and cause all kinds of issues in your body. But a completely flat and flexible rain boot is hard to find!
I’ve compiled a list of all the waterproof, water resistant, and rubber rain boots (for kids and adults) that meet my strict requirements for healthy footwear. Don’t let the weather keep you from getting outside! Read on for the full list of barefoot waterproof shoes below.
How to Waterproof Your Shoes
Before we get to the waterproof barefoot shoe options, let’s discuss ways you can make use of the shoes you have. Keep in mind that treating your shoes with a waterproofing agent can change the way they look. Leather often gets significantly darker with impregnating waxes and can even change in texture. While these products are usually very effective, a shoe spray is a better alternative if you don’t want to change the way your shoes look.
Waterproofing Sprays, Waxes, & Creams
If working with suede, nubuck, or fabric I use waterproofing sprays because it’s less likely to change the look and texture of the material. Waxes & creams have to be rubbed into the shoe and are more likely to affect the look, but they are often more effective – best used on smooth leather/vegan leather products.
- Carbon Pro – The most effective without changing the material in any way! Works on everything, including vegan and fabrics
- Nano Tech Waterproof Leather Spray – Have not used myself, but it comes highly rated
- Nikwax Footwear Care – This is an ecofriendly spray, but it does slightly alter the look of suede/nubuck
- Renapur Leather Balsam – This conditioner is a gentle waterproofer, not as effective as the below options. But really great for restoring the look of your shoes and increasing their longevity!
- Otter Wax – Works great.
- Sno Seal – Very effective, but DEFINITLY changes the leather (unless you are dealing with a glossy black to begin with).
- Aquaseal – This is used to repair holes or seal up seams on your shoes!
- Neos Overshoe – This overshoe can be worn directly over your shoes to make them waterproof and slip-resistant (there are many retailers, so search around to find your size).
- Waterproof Socks from Freet – Use code AR-10 for 10% off your order from Freet. Interesting idea to keep your feet, but not your shoes, dry!
Barefoot Rain Boots for Adults
There are not too many true barefoot rubber rain boot options yet, but here are my favorite ones for adults.
The following are the truest to barefoot shoe ideals.
- Xero Shoes Gracie (women’s) – The one true barefoot rain boot! Read my review here. For those in the EU, shop Xero Shoes EU here.
- Lems Waterproof Chelsea (men’s & women’s) – probably the best pull on waterproof boot that fits both men & women.
- Koel Rana – These are technically a kids’ shoe and only go up to a 41, but are super functional and have a tall cinch-able shaft that gives you real protection from rain and mud. Also available from Mugavik Barefoot at 5% off with code ANYASREVIEWS.
- Women’s Asgard (AMAZON) – Packable, affordable rubber boots that check all the boxes, but do have a narrower toe box than I prefer. Read my Asgard review here.
- Bisgaard (women’s & kids) – These rubber boots are completely flat and flexible but a little difficult to find and only go up to a size 40. US/Canadian customers can get them from Pedterra and use code
ANYASREVIEWS, and the rest of the world can search for a retailer on Bisgaard’s website.
- Pokeboo Packable Rain Boots – Men’s and Women’s – very minimal but have a narrower toe box. This is the truest barefoot rain boot that comes in men’s sizes.
- Vaistoa Korpi – This Finnish brand only ships within Europe, but they look to be a perfect barefoot rain boot.
Fun fact, you can turn any rain boots into thermal ones with a boot liner! And I also highly recommend the use of leg warmers to get a secure fit without compromising on toe space (because pull on rain boots are not adjustable).
Compromise Rain Boots:
While these options are more minimalist than most rain boots, they might have a small heel rise and are heavier and thicker than is typical for a barefoot shoe (and also a little pinchier in the toe box).
- Grundens – Multiple height zero drop options, but the toe box is tapered so consider sizing up for extra space.
- Tretorn Bo & Viken (Amazon)
- Tretorn (EU) – Wings & Bolt Winter models
- Urberg Men’s Orby
- Urberg Kinna
- Viking – Look for the flat models. Viking ships to the EU only, but this brand can also be found at Outnorth for international shipping.
Waterproof/Resistant Barefoot Shoes for Adults
While these are not your typical pull on rubber rain boots, these barefoot shoes are water resistant and practical for wet weather.
- Ahinsa Jaya Boots (vegan) – Use code ANYASREVIEWS for 10% off.
- Be Lenka Boots – Lots of great options! You can also order several of them them from Anya’s Shop in the US. If ordering from Be Lenka directly code ANYASREVIEWS give you 5% off (returns are only accepted from within the EU and USA).
- Chala Overshoe – Only waterproof from the top, if you stepped in a puddle it would come in from the bottom. Use code 93D5B5E9 for 5% off
- Fare (Czech Republic & Slovakia only). Those outside of EU can shop Fare at Mugavik Barefoot. Use code ANYASREVIEWS for 5% off.
- Feelgrounds Patrol (vegan). Read my Patrol review here
- Feelmax Kuuva
- Freet Mudee (vegan) – Use code
AR-10for 10% a Freet purchase. See my thoughts in this post about The 10 Best Barefoot Hiking Boots.
- Groundies Ontario – Select Groundies styles available at Anya’s Shop
- Joe Nimble International – Many styles are water resistant. Use code AFFANY10 for 10% off your first purchase. See my thoughts on the Wandertoes 2.0 hiking boot in my Best Barefoot Hiking Boots Post.
- Koel – Great looking options
- Lems – Chelsea Boot & Boulder Boot come in waterproof options. European readers can purchase Lems from Mugavik Barefoot and use code ANYASREVIEWS for 5% off. Read all my Lems Reviews here
- Manitobah Mukluks – Super warm. Not all styles are zero drop.
- Mukishoes Chelsea – Vegan cork or leather! Use code
ANYAMUKIfor 10% off. Read my review here
- Neos Overshoe – This waterproof overshoe can be worn over other shoes or with a thick boot liner to become a warm waterproof rain boot.
- Sole Runner – Several models labeled as being water-repellant
- Vibram Furoshiki Boots – The boot versions are water resistant! You will get 15% off your purchase through this link.
- Vivobarefoot Tracker –
VBANYA20for 10% off.
- Xero Shoes (vegan) – See my Alpine review here, and my Xcursion review here. For shipping within the EU, shop Xero Shoes EU here
- Zaqq (vegan options) – A LOT of waterproof styles here. We have the waterproof Quintic seasonally at Anya’s Shop
- Wildling Shoes – Super minimal! Read all my Wildling Reviews here
Kids Waterproof Barefoot Shoes
Like for adults, true barefoot rain boots for kids are a tough find! But the options below we have vetted to be zero drop a wide toe box, so that kids can play in the rain and mud without hurting their feet.
Rubber Rain Boots
- Bisgaard – All zero drop except “Rain” model.
- Bundgaard rubber boots – All these wellies are zero drop except the Sailor boots, and we consider them to be the best true kids barefoot rain boot. Customers outside the US can order directly from Bundgaard.
- Oaki Rain Boots – The rubber boots are zero drop, neoprene boots are not.
- Original Hunter Classic
- KomForme – These are the only on the list that we can’t determine to be 100% zero drop. My best guess is they have a 2mm heel rise.
- Ten Little – Toddler/little kid sizes US 6-13. Read our review here for more details.
- Viking – Not all models are zero-drop, so look for the flat soles. Viking ships to the EU only, but this brand can also be found at Outnorth for international shipping.
- 1000 Hours Outside – Toddler 6 up to Youth 2
If you don’t need a full rubber boot, these waterproof kids barefoot shoes are the next best thing.
- Be Lenka Panda, Snowfox, & Ranger – ANYASREVIEWS for 5% off (returns are only accepted from within the EU and USA). Read my Be Lenka Kids Review here
- Bobux – Grass Court sneaker and Paddington Boot. We have worn several styles of Bobux boots and found them excellent for all weather
- Fare Bare (Czech Republic & Slovakia only). Those outside of EU can shop these at Mugavik Barefoot. Use code ANYASREVIEWS for 5% off.
- Kiuu Boots (EU only) – Kiuu has an impressive line of waterproof kid boots!
- Koel – Koel does not ship worldwide, but you can find them at retailers Tupsunupsu or Mugavik Barefoot (Use code ANYASREVIEWS for 5% off)
- Magical Shoes ZiuZiu – Wool/polyester lined with a waterproof membrane. Use code
ANYAfor 10% off
- Manitobah Mukluks – Great waterproof collection! Super warm.
- Mukishoes – Select seasonal models are water resistant. We have a pair of Mini-Moss and they are awesome. Use my code ANYAMUKI for 5% off your order, and see my review of the Mukishoes 2022 review here.
- Sole-Runner Transition Vario 3
- Tikki Shoes
- Vivobarefoot All Weather Booties – Code
VBANYA20for 10% off
- Wilding Shoes – Super minimal! Note that these are best used for light rain and not in deep water or mud. Read all my Wildling Reviews here