Katy Bowman is a biomechanist, prolific author, speaker, and founder of Nutritious Movement. Her best selling books include Whole Body Barefoot (my personal favorite) and her newest book Rethink Your Position. Her work was very influential to me during my darkest times of injury and pain, and I think you’ll love it too.
Katy was one of the earliest proponents of minimalist footwear as a viable solution to many of the foot woes we experience in the developed world. But as this idea has taken hold (and rightly so!) there’s a part of the conversation that often gets left out. And that is the shoes are actually not the entire solution. It’s the foot inside the shoe that needs to be capable of supporting our daily lives.
We’ve got this mindset that the shoe is all I need … [but] it’s foot strength you’re after, not footwear. It’s a shift in our minds to think ‘Why am I doing this in the first place?’ You’re doing it for feet that are strong enough for your body.”
And that means that when pain arises we should think not only about our footwear, but also about how we are using/not using our feet and what we can do to better prepare them for the life we want to lead.
You’ll listen to the following topics in this interview:
- The nuance that is missing from the barefoot shoe conversation.
- When to reconsider your footwear & your movement habits.
- Why the perfect pair of shoes doesn’t exist.
- Why it’s harder to change when you feel good.
- Being in communication with your body is more important than doing it “right”.
- Foot exercises are not just from the ankle down.
- Why many injuries have similar root causes, even when they look different.
- The steps to better foot & body health are often the same for different people, regardless of your individual anatomy.
- Be protective of your ability to move and walk. Hold it sacred and prioritize it.
Katy challenged some of my own closely held stories about how my body works and reframed it with a biomechanical lens.
What you’re doing with your body all the time creates loads, the shoes you’re wearing creates loads and the more you can understand that the more you can understand when and where to add minimal shoes, where and when to add exercises, when to pick a more rigid minimal shoe or a different type of minimal shoe.”
I can’t wait to hear what you think and what a-ha moments you had listening to this conversation!
Did this interview raise more questions for you? Are you ready to start digging into these supplemental foot and body exercises to future proof yourself? Here are a few resources to get you on your way.
Additional Resources For Your Happy Feet Journey:
- The books Whole Body Barefoot & Rethink Your Position by Katy Bowman
- 5 Fundamental Foot Exercises
- Why Barefoot Shoes Might be (Part of) the Solution To Your Foot Pain
- Wide Toe Box Shoes That Aren’t Barefoot – If you need to choose alternatives at this stage in your life
- Walking 101 – Tips to get you started
Connect With Katy:
- Katy’s company: NutritiousMovement.com
- Salient Books: Rethink Your Position, Grow Wild, Whole Body Barefoot
- Social Media: Katy Bowman @nutritiousmovement on Instagram and Facebook
Katy Bowman is a biomechanist and bestselling author of 10 books, including Move Your DNA, Grow Wild, Whole Body Barefoot, and her latest Rethink Your Position. Named one of Maria Shriver’s “Architects of Change,” Bowman is changing the way we move and think about our need for movement. Find out more at NutritiousMovement.com.