Are you new to barefoot shoes? Below are some resources to get you started. Be sure to check out my Best Minimalist Shoes for Beginners post too!
*If you’d like to hear how I came into barefoot shoes, read this post*
- Shoespiracy – This 4 minute documentary by Vivobarefoot does a great job of introducing the issue (scroll to the bottom of the page for the video).
- Whole Body Barefoot – I think this book is the best place to start if you’re serious, because it explains the “why” of barefoot shoes in the context of our modern day lives. Many people get excited about barefoot running and jump in only to injure themselves! Understanding that it’s a whole body change is really important.
- Born To Run – The spark that ignited the barefoot movement! Excellent read to get you motivated, but best paired with Whole Body Barefoot if you’re looking to try it out yourself.
- What are the Benefits of Barefoot Shoes? – An outline of what to look for in a healthy shoe and why it’s important.
The following podiatrists offer education and personal consultations to help you on your foot health journey
- Paul Thompson (Australia) – Courses and virtual consultations
- Andy Bryant (Australia) – Education on social media and virtual consultations
Natural Movement Practitioners
The following movement specialists can help you pin point dysfunctional movement patterns and relearn fundamental skills.
- Gait Happens – Courses and Virtual Constultation
- Petra Fisher – Courses
- Lauren Ohayon – Courses
- MovNat – Courses
- Kinstretch – Courses
- Holly Middleton – Courses and Virtual Consultations
Other Informative Resources
Want to dig deeper? Here is an extensive list of places you can get even more information.
- Nutritious Movement – This is a great article
- The Foot Collective
- Correct Toes
- The Story of the Human Body by Daniel Lieberman
- Born to Walk by James Earls
- Ray McClanahan’s YouTube channel
- Older Yet Faster
- Run For Your Life by Mark Cucuzella
- Phil Maffetone
Online communities & Accounts to Follow
- Barefoot Style
- Minimalist Shoe BST page
- Reddit Barefoot & Minimalist Running
- Healthy Feet Community
- Anya’s Reviews (FB)
- Healthy Feet Alliance (FB)